Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Daily Herald 1930 - Will You Do this Great Thing For Labour

click to enlarge

"Will you do this great thing for Labour".....
"I think you will !"

Ernest Bevin

This statement and pictures relate to the relaunch of the Daily Herald on 17th March 1930.
As part of the relaunch the TUC agreed to hand over 51% of shares to Odhams, but kept the remaining 49%
The  relaunch was a huge success as it built on the Labour Party supporters network "Daily Herald Helpers" who encouraged working people to buy the paper, which continued to push a primarily Labour party line. By 1933 the Daily Herald became the world's best-selling daily newspaper, with certified net sales of 2 million.