Hayes Amalgamated Engineering Union
The first local, Southall branch (which covered Hayes) of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers (later Amalgamated Engineering Union) was established in 19th July 1911 by Mr Black, with 26 mebers and with Mr Dumbleton as Secretary, Mr Cantwell as Chairman and Mr Watts as Vice Chairman. It was noted that "many of there members belonged to Hayes".
By December 1913 the local Engineering Union branch could report with some pride that "no higher wages paid in any district of the United Kingdom than those the workers received at the Goss Printing Works, Hayes. and that "Hayes was considered the pioneers in respect of good wages". Mr Dumbleton reported that "As engineers they live in a veritable Garden of Eden and it he hoped it would not be long before they got the fruits of their labours an eight hour day forty-eight hour week".
The first big Engineering strike locally was in May 1917 when 550 Engineering Union members went on strike over a number of grievances and several factories were affected
During the 1922 Engineers lock-out. The Southall AEU Lock Out Committee wrote to the Uxbridge Board of Guardians requisitioning poor law relief for those locked out and requesting the Guardians receive a delegation, which included Mr J.E. Armstrong, Mr W. H. Harvey and Mr C. Brooks. This was agreed bu the Board, after a resolution was moved by Mr Garrod and Mrs Groundsell and was carried 8-7. It was agreed by the Guardians that each would be agreed on a case by case basis.
Between 1919 and 1931, Mr G Hillier was the unions' local branch secretary
By June 1934 the Southall district of the Amalgamated Engineering Union (AEU) could claim 815 members and by June 1935 it had doubled it's membership to 1,430.
In the 1930's Mr "Bill" William John Lipscombe was the Hayes branch secretary of the Amalgamated Engineering Union (AEU) employed as an aircraft fitter at Fairey Aviation Factory living at 222 (or 223), Station Road, Hayes. Bill Lipscombe had lived in Harlington since 1927.
The AEU Hayes No1 branch meeting at the Labour Hall, Pump Lane, during this period
AEU Strike at Fairey in 1937 over victimisation of union steward
At the opening of Bedwell House (Harlington Labour Hall) in 1939 Lipscombe stated "in 1929 Harlington was still a rural district.......today....Harlington was one of the strongest places for trade union activity in West Middlesex"
By 1959 the Southall District (which included numerous Hayes branches) of the Engineering Union could claim a membership of 16,500.
William John "Bill" Lipscombe
Bill Lipscombe Came to Harlington in 1927, he was an Aircraft fitter at Fairey Avaitation, Branch Secretary of the Engineering Union. Joined the Harlington Labour Party in 1929, became a Labour Councillor on Hayes Urban District Council and Greater London Council, Councillor for Hillingdon 1964-1967
By 1961 Lipscombe was a Justice of the Peace, and Secretary of Unity Halls based at Bedwell House and living at 319 Station Road, Aviation