Monday, September 27, 2010

Daily Worker Song - "It's My Paper"



DAILY WORKER SONG

IT'S MY PAPER

When the papers run by Tories carry horrifying stories

That the Worker gets its cash from Uncle Joe

They may bluster, they may rage.

I just turn another page, I Say it’s nonsense I ought to know

Because its

(CHORUS)

My paper, I built this paper,

If you want to know who runs it, I’m the guy!

And no matter what they say,

The truth is here to stay, Because i’ll fight for the WORKER till I die



When they call me agitatator,

even when they call me traitor,

when they tell me that my train is off the track,

then I’m smart enough to see what “The Worker” does for me,

so I’m rolling up my sleeves and fighting back

Because it’s



My paper I built this paper,

If you want to know who runs it, I’m the guy!

And no matter what they say,

The truth is here to stay,

Because i’ll fight for the WORKER till I die



Words by John Hastead 1921-2002

Cira late 1940s

(Click to enlarge music)


* I have heard a recent version song during the miners strike in the 1980s replacing "It's My Paper" with "It's My Union"