Nehemiah Lawson Shakespeare (known as Lawson Shakespeare) was a Labour Councillor on Hayes and Harlington Urban District Council for nineteen years from 1946.
He was Hayes & Harlington UDC Chairman of the Educatoion Committee, Chairman for several years of the Works Committee and was Chairman of the Council for the municipal year 1954-1955
Lawson Shakespeare had held almost every office in the London West branch of his union, the Association of Enginnering & Shipbuilding Draughstmen - AESD (later DATA then TASS and now Unite). During the many years of his membership. He was also at one time a member of the Executive Committee of the A.E.S.D. and a member of its parliamentary panel.
He was appointment as a Justice of the Peace in 1955, serving on the Uxbridge magistrate for many years of public service.
He served 21 years on the Southern Elecricity Board consultation Committee and 16 years on Southall TechnicalCcollege governing committee, and was chairman for a period. He was also Chairman of the St Bernards Hospital Manangement Committee
In 1946 he was instramental in establishing the Hayes & Harlingston Community Association.
He retired from EMI in 1965 after working 36 years for the company as a design draughtsman
Councillor Shakespeare died in Febuary 1985 after a long illness at Hillingdon Hospital aged 86, leaving a wife Ethel Shakespeare and had two sons Raymond and Kenneth Shakespeare.
Nehemiah Lawson Shakespeare funeral was held at Breakespeare Crematorium, Ruislip, Middlesex.
AESD DRAUGHTSMEN UNION 1938
LONDON WEST BRANCH
AESD Secretary and Regional Council Delegate
Nehemiah Lawson Shakespeare, 30 Little Rd., Hayes, Middlesex.
President—H. L. Gearing, 51 Seymour Gdns., Ilford, Essex.
Vice-President—S. Y. Smith, “Wilby,” Lawn Ave., Garden City, West Drayton.
Asst Secretaries :
Subscriptions—W. B. Roberts, 2 Cranford Park Rd., Hayes, Middlesex.
Unemployment—V. Orloff, 56 Stuart Crescent, Hayes Rd., Hayes, Middlesex.Treasurer—G. H. Russell, 16 Little Road, Hayes, Middlesex.