Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Squatters Movement for Housing Hillingdon1946

The Squatters Movement for Housing 1946

In 1946 the shortage of housing had become critical, the Communist Party took a leading role in encouraging a massive “Squatters” movement.
This was a campaign where people without homes or in poor accommodation simply took over empty buildings.

In September 1946 Yiewsley Labour Councillors D.J. Davies and George Pemberton helped local families occupy Providence Road Nursery.
Meanwhile in Uxbridge leading Communist Dickie Bond along with fellow communists Glitz and Newman helped families occupy Coaxden hall.

(flats in Ickenham were also squatted).

Fred Glitz, Communist worked at Bell Punch a AEU member (allegedly once a member of the black & tans in Ireland ?)
1901 census refers to a Frederick Glitz 22 born Shadwell, London a Private in the Royal Marines